ambyr

Shirley Jackson, Laura Miller
The Mirror Empire
Kameron Hurley
Jack Weatherford

Lords and Ladies (Discworld, #14)

Lords and Ladies (Discworld, #14) - Terry Pratchett Once upon a time, my boyfriend and I carpooled on a commute that was 1.5 hours plus each way. I don't drive, so I provided the read-aloud entertainment. We got through about a book a month.

. . .and then I got a different job, and we stopped carpooling, and our read-alouds ground to an almost complete halt, revived only on long road trips. If I remember right, we'd started this book right before I switched jobs, which means we've been working on it for over a year and a half. Finally done!

Oh, but about the book. It's not one of Pratchett's best, I think. It has some cool concepts--why elves hate iron, what makes a "real" witch--and I find the emotional notes between Granny and Ridcully appealingly bittersweet, but the plot meanders a bit too much, particularly toward the end. It's a weird choice, I think, to have the three protagonists split up and each make their own, ultimately simultaneous yet completely uncoordinated attempt against the big bad. I'm ultimately a little unclear on why the attacks worked and whether one or two of the attempts alone would have been enough. It would have been more satisfying for me if the witches had deliberately joined forces, even if grudgingly, for one final moment of teamwork before the band breaks up for good.

Still. Elves. And I do love each of the witches to pieces, individually.