ambyr

The Mirror Empire
Kameron Hurley
Jack Weatherford

White Sands, Red Menace

White Sands, Red Menace - Ellen Klages Goodbye, Dewey and Suze. I'll miss you! I am sad you have no further adventures to entertain me with through my commute.

I loved this just as much as the first one for its finely drawn characters and relationships. At first I was a little sad that Suze and Dewey were no longer spending all their time together, but there were still plenty of sisterly--sorry, brotherly--bonding moments, and it felt right that they were growing up into separate people, people who still loved each other but whose lives didn't revolve around each other. Dewey's mother was handled perfectly: possible for the audience to sympathize with, but still difficult for the characters (who have had to live with the consequences of her actions) to forgive.

If there was one weak note for me, I think it was Phil and his relationship with Terry. He's the only character who doesn't come across as two-dimensional, partly because he's so rarely on the page. If I hadn't read the first novel, with Terry and Phil excitedly discussing equations at the dinner table, I wouldn't understand why they were married at all. I understand that limiting the viewpoint to the two teens makes it difficult to show the interior of their parents' marriage, but I still think it's a shame that Phil and Terry's moment of rapprochement is entirely off-screen, on a private vacation. It's a complicated relationship, and I wanted to understand it better.