ambyr

The Mirror Empire
Kameron Hurley
Jack Weatherford

Kiss Me Deadly: 13 Tales of Paranormal Love

Kiss Me Deadly: 13 Tales of Paranormal Love - Trisha Telep, Maggie Stiefvater, Becca Fitzpatrick, Rachel Vincent, Karen Mahoney, Diana Peterfreund, Daniel Waters, Carrie Ryan, Justine Musk, Daniel Marks, Sarah Rees Brennan, Michelle Rowen, Michelle Zink, Caitlin Kittredge I'm never really sure how to rate anthologies. There were stories in this one I liked, but also stories I hated--including, unfortunately, the opening story, which almost made me throw the rest of the book away unread. Fortunately I'd picked it up originally to read Peterfreund's story, which was the second one in, so I kept going. And things got better.

I am fundamentally the wrong audience for this book: I'm not a huge short story fan, and paranormal romance as a genre leaves me cold. So I'm actually kind of surprised at how many stories I -did- like. Peterfruend's "Errant" was solid, but not in the end my favorite. That title would have to go to "Behind the Red Door," or possibly "The Hounds of Ulster," or even "Hare Moon." (Those who know me will not be surprised that I've pretty much just written a list of the stories with unhappy endings.)

The only story I couldn't finish, aside from the opening "The Assassin's Apprentice" (which just struck me as incredibly shallow, both in terms of character and plot) was "Vermillion." Slut-shaming: not, actually, interesting or original. But other people loved both those stories, so what can I say, except to repeat I'm probably not the target audience?